Tuesday 26 June 2012

The Cryptics - Lennons Review

Hi all,

I promised myself that I would go and see The Cryptics live. I've been listening to their stuff in the car for about 2 weeks. So last Friday I left, at the last minute, to get to Lennons.

A quick note on this venue. If you are a band, you can do better. There is room for 3 people on that stage, no more. The sound guy is crap and doesn't move from his Troll hole and the stage is more of a recess into the wall.

It is the most uncomfortable place as a punter to be. You spend 10 minutes in between each band staring at the sound guys ass as he repositions the (pointlessly) mic'ed up drum kit, or generally gets in the way of the guitarist or bassist. That and it stinks of piss. And its dead. No, I mean dead. Even though it could hold about 100 people with elbow room.

The Cryptics were on at 9.30 so not exactly early, and I was expecting there to be a bunch of students in there as its on the way into town. I counted about 20 people in there.

I learned something valuable that night. Venue does matter. Did they play well? Yes. Was it a good set? Yes. Was it a good gig? Not really.

I met 2 out of 3 of the guys, and they seem like a great couple of blokes, but I think we all knew it wasn't going to be great.

The only advantage with the venue was that it was reasonably easy to get some pictures.

I will have to see them again to do this properly. Their next gig is at The Brook on the 1st, which is known for buzzing with people who like music and people not stinking of piss. I can promise that it will be a much, much better event.

No comments:

Post a Comment