Tuesday 28 August 2012

Bellowhead Album release - Broadside

"Will you stop jigging your legs!?" My wife screams at me.

No. No I can't. I'll tell you why. I'm listening to Bellowhead.

My secret musical love is Folk/Folk rock. I've listened to all sorts of stuff over the years, traditional folk (I'm from Devon originally) all the way up through to the more power chord and electric bass side of things.

Now here come Bellowhead with Broadside. Expecting more of the same from their last album I sat on one of my feet and turned the volume down. It didn't matter. Within about 20 seconds I was up.

From somewhere they have pulled an entire brass band. The sound you get is an epic strength of syncopathy, fantastic depth and a powerful new driving rhythm section.

Fans of traditional folk will recognise the metre of the lyrics, and the strength of the harmonies. Newer fans will appreciate the way in that they've have brought them almost literally kicking and screaming into the present.

What they have done here is brought their live show into the studio, and it works. I'm not going to do what they managed to get the fans to do in Sidmouth and break my floor, but its tempting.

Go and get the album. Stick it on at parties. Get a fire going. Get some beer. Get loads of friends round, turn it up.

What if you don't like folk? There's always Jedward for you I suppose. Help yourself.

Your biggest problem? Its not released until October.

Thanks for reading,

No comments:

Post a Comment